FBC Heath History and Development
On September 26, 1874 eleven people gathered at the Willow Springs schoolhouse (very near the current location) to form the Willow Springs Baptist Church of Christ. The church was named for the numerous willow trees growing and a nearby natural spring. Later, in 1910, the name was changed to Heath Baptist Church.
In 1894 a building was completed across the street from the present address. The church met in that building for the next four years before a cyclone destroyed the building on June 8, 1898. While construction on the new building was being done, the church continued to meet in the local school. In September, 1898 the building that we now know as Smirl Chapel was completed. The church continued to meet in the building until the new sanctuary was completed in 1981. Pinion Hall (Childrens Building) was completed in 1973 and our current education and office building (the Joe and Clarise Isbel Education Building) was completed in 1994.
In the early years, it was common for a pastor to only remain in a church for a year or two. As a result, the church has had many pastors throughout the years. Each brought different gifts and abilities to the task, but the following names are those whom God has honored with holding the title of pastor.
FBC Heath Pastoral History
|Rev. James T Vance 1874-1875||Rev. J O Hearne 1913-1922||Rev. Ray Alford 1951|
|Rev. H M Trotter 1875||Rev. W Z Corbin 1925-1926||Rev. Obie Anderson 1951-1953|
|Rev. A H Norris 1876 -1884||Rev. Steve Harwell 1926-1934||Rev. CR Mabus 1953-1959|
|Rev. H V Lively 1884 1895||Rev. Jim Moran 1934-1935||Rev. JE James 1959-1964|
|Rev. J H Meyers 1895-1898||Rev. Silas Dickerson 1935-1939||Rev. Tullis Wade 1964-1969|
|Rev. S J Anderson 1899-1901||Rev. T J McCain 1939||Rev. Jerry Fleming 1969-1975|
|Rev. H B Pender 1901- 1903||Rev. W Clyde Smith 1940-1941||Dr. Dick Sisk 1975-1985|
|Rev. P C Scott 1904-1905||Rev. W O McClung 1942||Dr. Richard Wells (Interim) 1985-1986|
|Rev. J E Newman 1906||Rev. J W Harper 1943-1945||Rev. David Burcham 1986-2000|
|Rev. J A Lee 1906-1908||Rev. William Scott 1945||Rev. Wesley Marks 2001|
|Rev. C J Washman 1908-1911||Rev. Eugene Mc Clung 1946-1947||Dr. Paul Jacobs 2001-2017|
|Rev. C A Ashcroft 19011-1912||Rev. H D Martin 1947-1949|
|Rev. H A Conway 1912||Rev. E C Harwwell 1949-1951|
In over 140 years of the existence of the church, Gods blessings have been clearly evident. As this church ministers well into the 21st century, let us do so with Gods blessings and empowerment. May we continue to reach the lost and may we always bring honor and glory to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.